Few baseball players have been more thoroughly covered by the media than new Marlins part-owner Derek Jeter. But here are 25 things you might not know about the New York Yankees legend.
▪ No. 1: Long before he became a baseball star, Jeter was a fairly accomplished basketball player. He was a shooting guard on an AAU team in Kalamazoo, Michigan, that played against the likes of Detroiters Chris Webber and Jalen Rose. Word is Jeter was a good three-point shooter.
▪ No. 2: Jeter’s parents — Charles and Dorothy — met in 1972 in Frankfurt, Germany, where they were both stationed with the U.S. military. Dorothy, of Irish-German descent, went on to become an accountant. Charles, who is African American, was a substance abuse counselor.
▪ No. 3: Jeter was born in Pequannock, New Jersey, but the family moved to Kalamazoo when he was 4 years old because his father was pursuing a Ph.D. at Western Michigan University.
Never miss a local story.
Sign up today for a free 30 day free trial of unlimited digital access.
▪ No. 4: In 2006, Jeter launched a cologne with Avon called “Driven.” It is described as a “woodsy, aromatic” fragrance with top notes of spices, grapefruit and oakmoss; middle notes of lavender, rhubarb, mint and cardamom, and base notes of musk and bamboo. It must have sold well because in 2013, Avon launched a second Jeter fragrance called Rush.
Orioles Yankees Baseball_3
New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter acknowledges the New York fans.
Julie Jacobson AP
▪ No. 5: One reason Jeter chose to play shortstop is that his father, Charles, played that position for Fisk University in Nashville.
▪ No. 6: Jeter’s sister, Sharlee, is five years younger and was a high school softball standout. Jeter is extremely close with his nephew, Sharlee’s son, Jalen.
▪ No. 7: In fourth grade, when he was 9, Jeter stood in front of his class at St. Augustine Cathedral School and said he wanted to play shortstop for the New York Yankees. He had a full Yankees uniform hanging in his bedroom.
▪ No. 8: Jeter, 43, is married to Sports Illustrated swimsuit model Hannah Davis, a 27-year-old native of St. Thomas, Virgin Islands, who competed on the junior tennis circuit. She was on the cover of the 2015 SI swimsuit issue and also modeled for Victoria’s Secret, American Eagle Outfitters, Levi’s, Tommy Hilfiger and Ralph Lauren perfume. They reportedly started dating in the summer of 2012, and Jeter proposed in the fall of 2015. They married on July 9, 2016, in Napa Valley and about 100 guests attended. Their daughter, Bella, was born Aug. 17, 2017.
People Derek Jeter Hannah Jeter Baby
Derek Jeter and Hannah Davis.
Charles Sykes AP
▪ No. 9: Before committing to Davis, Jeter was linked to many models and actresses, including Mariah Carey, Jessica Alba, Lara Dutta, Vida Guerra, Jessica Biel, Scarlett Johansson, and Minka Kelly.
▪ No. 10: When Jeter was starting high school, his parents made him sign a contract agreeing to rules about curfew, drugs and alcohol and how to treat girls.
▪ No. 11: Jeter was drafted out of high school by the Yankees on June 1, 1992, with the sixth overall pick. The five players taken before him? Phil Nevin (Astros), Paul Shuey (Indians), B.J. Wallace (Expos), Jeffrey Hammonds (Orioles), and Chad Mottola (Reds).
▪ No. 12: In 1993, Jeter made 56 errors in 126 games for Class A Greensboro.
Finding Jeter Baseball
Back then he was just a prospect: In 1994, the New York Yankees’ Derek Jeter poses on the dugout steps at Yankee Stadium in New York after he was named Baseball America’s minor league player of the year.